WordPress is an excellent tool that you can use to build a website, and it powers over one-third of them. If you are considering using WordPress, you may want to know how to get started. And the most important thing is website hosting.
Can you make a WordPress site without hosting? It depends on the specific website because there are two versions of WordPress. WordPress.com is a website that includes hosting to build a WordPress site. On the other hand, WordPress.org is a piece of software that can be installed on a website with a third-party host.
If you want to make a WordPress website, you should consider which version of WordPress to use. Then, you can decide if you need hosting or not. And if you do need hosting, you can find the best option for your site.
What Is Hosting?
Hosting is the term for where your website lives online. Unless you have a large company with a huge server, you probably can’t host your site. Instead, you can go to a hosting company and purchase a hosting package.
The company will then put your website on their servers so that you and anyone online can visit your site. One of the best things about WordPress compared to popular website builders is that you can choose from a variety of hosts. However, you do need some sort of hosting to make a WordPress site.
Hosting is how you put any website online, so whether you use WordPress or not, your site will need it. Luckily, there are a couple of ways you can create a WordPress site. One option makes it easy to get started, while the other involves a bit more work, but it offers more flexibility.
What Is WordPress.com?
The easiest way to make a WordPress site is to go through WordPress.com. It allows you to use the basic features of WordPress, but you don’t have to install anything. You can also get started for free, depending on the plan that you choose.
- com is a combination of WordPress and a web hosting company. You can sign up with the site and start creating your website immediately.
- There are different plans, starting from free to $45 per month, and the more expensive plans have more features.
- Each plan includes the ability to create a WordPress website, access to different website themes, and a bit of storage.
- You can choose the website plan that makes the most sense for you, and you can upgrade as you see fit.
Unfortunately, WordPress.com has quite a few restrictions, and it costs a lot to access some of the popular features. Still, it’s an easy option for building your first WordPress website. Later, you can upgrade to a higher tier, or you can look for your own WordPress hosting.
Who Should Use It?
If you have never made a website before, WordPress.com makes it easy to start. You don’t even have to invest any money to create your website. So if you are on a tight budget but need to make a website, you should consider WordPress.com.
You might also consider using it if you don’t know a ton about technology. Other website hosts can be hard to navigate, and it can be hard to start using WordPress through them. If you need to get started right away, WordPress.com is probably a good choice for you.
On the other hand, WordPress.com can cost a lot if you need more features. As your website grows, you may outgrow your current plan. And if you do not have a ton of money, you may not be able to afford the plan that you need.
WordPress.com can also be limiting if you want to make money with your website. To do that, you must pay for one of the more expensive plans. And while investing in your business is necessary, you can find other less expensive options.
What Is WordPress.org?
Talking about WordPress can be confusing if you do not differentiate between WordPress.com, the hosted site, and WordPress.org. WordPress.org is the software that you install on a website with hosting from a separate company.
- With this version, WordPress does not manage your website, so you will have to choose a website host that works with WordPress.
- Because of this, you can choose from a variety of companies to host your website, and you can choose from their available plans.
- Some hosts let you install WordPress automatically, while others require you to download it and then upload the software to your website.
- The freedom that comes with this allows you to access plugins and other premium features, but you don’t have to pay as much as with WordPress.com.
When you use WordPress.org, you can use any features, plugins, and themes that you want. You can make money with it in any way that you like, and you own your website. However, you do have to find your own way to host your website since that doesn’t come with the software.
Who Should Use It?
WordPress.org is the perfect option for anyone who needs to grow their website. Of course, you can start your first website this way, but it will almost definitely require some cost in the form of hosting. However, you do have more control over the hosting that you select so that you can find a good deal.
This version of WordPress is a lot more flexible than the other version since you get the software. You don’t have any limitations, and you own your website and its content. If you run a business or are otherwise serious about your WordPress website, you should use WordPress.org.
However, managing your website can be a lot of work. Yes, you can contact your host for customer support, but they may not be able to do as much for you. It is up to you to perform any updates and to keep your site functioning.
Depending on the theme and plugins that you use, you may also need to have a bit of technical knowledge. You do not need to be a coding expert, but you should know the basics so that you can correct small issues.
How to Make a WordPress Site Without Hosting
If you want to make a WordPress website without hosting, WordPress.com is for you. It bundles web hosting with WordPress, so you don’t have to find a host. You can use the basic features of WordPress, and you can grow a successful site.
- To do this, you can go to WordPress.com and head to their pricing page. The page will have everything you need to know.
- You can compare the features and cost of each plan, and you can select the best one for you. Then, you can start making your WordPress website.
- Website options include blogs, eCommerce stores, and more, so you can choose the site you want to create.
- Choose from a variety of themes and customize the colors. Add a title based on your website name.
- If you choose a more expensive plan, you can contact support for help with any issues that you encounter.
While both versions of WordPress are good, WordPress.com doesn’t require any outside hosting. You do not need any special experience to use it, but there are some limitations. Still, it can be a great choice if you don’t want to deal with website hosting.
WordPress sites are common, but you may not know there are two versions of it. One (WordPress.com) includes hosting, while the other (WordPress.org) requires a separate web hosting package. If you want to create a WordPress website without the hassle of a separate hosting site, go with WordPress.com.